Wednesday 22 February 2012

Reflection of wise words... I grew up with my grandmother, all my life I have called her my mom. She was one loud person, who always wanted everything to be in it's place. I grew up in an environment that is full of respect, she always motivated me to read books. I remember from a very young age she would buy me story books and that was before going to pre-school. It was as if she was preparing me in advance, but little did I think that after growing up I'd still hold on to books without her presence. My writing journey began with just reading, she would buy me small note books and I would draw in them because that is what I loved to do back then. She would always come back from work tired but she always and always had time to listen to what I have learnt, never was she tired of my baby stories. Unlike other kids who grew up having bed time stories read to them, I would sit next to her bed, in my small blue chair and read to her. The look in her eyes told me that I was good. She passed away 18years later and I'm still holding a book, only now that she won't listen to me. Now I don't fit in that little blue chair. Now that she won't lie besides and glance at me. It was just last year when I lost my mom (Grandmother), her teachings are what I'm still learning this very day. She would call me in the mornings and read a verse from the bible to me, at times I'd mourn because I'm sleepy, but how I wish that I could still get that phone call today. When she passed away I wrote her a short poem............................................................. *When I least expect it*....It was only yesterday morning, when I was born, so innocent, knowing nothing of the world, understanding nothing of the word.....It was only yesterday afternoon, when I learnt how things work, what love is, what respect is.....It was only yesterday night, when I was still enjoying being with you and knowing you, loving you and those wise words. When I least expect it today you died!............................................................. She was one neat lady, he church memebers knew her, she would prepare her church uniform a week before, yes immediately after church she would pack her things and put them safe. She always said "you must always prepare your things whilst you still can, no one predicts what is yet to come". She died of two strokes, it was more than she could take. God took her too soon, how I wish my grandchildren could experience such a great feeling of being with her. She was wise, it is not her saying that I remember most, but her doings. She played a huge part of the family, everyone relied on her, I'm not the only one who lost but that doesn't make me profound or fond of death. Pain is scattered from one big piece of love. I miss her...My.....Grand......Ma, yeah she was grand. How I wish I was you, to the one who still has a granny, how I would cherish those moments, how I would pay attention to, how I would find her unboring and how I would laugh to her tales that would cause my stomach to hurt. How I miss her shouting, her joy that made me feel I belong. How I wish I was you, to you who still has one, how I'd hold on to it, for it is a journey worth beholding.

No comments:

Post a Comment